Airlines in Malaysia provide various options to domestic business travellers to manage their GST tax invoices. A tax invoice is required for the travellers’ company to claim GST input tax. Without claiming the input tax, the 6% GST becomes an incremental expense for the company.
Among local airlines, Air Asia provides the most convenient support to travellers on tax invoice management. In addition to the usual option of entering company details for tax invoice purposes at Payment page when doing online booking (the link is below Contact Details section) it allows:
- Retrospective update of company details in case they were not entered during online booking. This can be done for itineraries booked but traveling not yet completed:
- Login to Air Asia account;
- At left panel, select Flight Bookings > Manage My Bookings;
- Select Modify for the flight itinerary to be updated;
- At the top panel, select Update Details > Traveller Details;
- Below Emergency Contact Information, there is a section to update Company Details.
- Generating and printing of Tax Invoice from a dedicated URL https://taxinvoice.airasia.com/
Air Asia’s resources and FAQ on GST are here.
Malaysia Airlines has the usual option of entering company details for tax invoice purposes at the Purchase page when booking online. This option is below credit card Billing Information section and is indicated with header Enter Business/ Company Name and Address for Issuance of Tax Invoice.
However, please take note Malaysia Airlines does not have a retrospective option of allowing a traveller to go back to update company details once bookings are completed. Therefore, please do the needful at the point of booking!
To retrospectively obtain a tax invoice, the traveller will need to contact the call center, fill in a form, email to Malaysia Airlines and they will process the request and email back to the traveller.
Malaysia Airlines’ resources and FAQ on GST are here.
Firefly Airlines, although is a subsidiary of Malaysia Airlines, offers more flexibility for travellers on GST tax invoices. The usual company details update is available during booking process at Contact page, under Contact Details with an option to select Business for updating of company details.
In case a traveller have forgotten to update them during booking, there is still an option to do this later:
- Login to Firefly account;
- From the left panel, select Manage Booking;
- Select the itinerary that you want to update and click View;
- At the left panel, under Change Booking, select Change Contact;
- Click Business to update company details, and save the changes.
To generate and print a Tax Invoice from Firefly, go to the dedicated URL https://gst.fireflyz.com.my/
Firefly Airlines’ resources and FAQ on GST are here.
Malindo Air scores the lowest in GST support in my opinion. Self-service options to update company details and to generate a tax invoice do not exist. In order to obtain a tax invoice from Malindo Air, a traveler needs to email [email protected] with the following details and attach a copy of Malindo Air ticket and copy of GST registration form of the traveler’s company:
1) Customer Name / Company Name
2) Contact person
3) Mobile phone number
4) Phone Number
5) Fax Number
7) Email Add
8) GST ID Number
9) Company Reg No
According to its customer care, invoice will be issued within 7 working days from the date of request. Malindo Air’s resources and FAQ on GST are here.